Gold Filled Jewelry
Gold filled is different to gold plated in that the layer of gold is very thick, generally 5% of the weight of item is composed of solid gold. Gold plated jewellery tend to wear and fade more easily compared to gold filled.Gold-filled is resistant to tarnish as the layer of solid gold is relatively thick. Nonetheless gold fill will wear over time and become dull and even tarnish if worn harshly or comes in contact with water, harsh chemicals, or acidic skin types. Once gold-filled jewellery has tarnished, it is not possible to remove the tarnish layer; it will have to be re-filled through a mechanical process. Therefore it is absolutely important that you take precautions to care for your gold-filled jewelry.
Caring For Your Gold-Fill Pieces.
Gold filled jewelry can be worn in the shower but it is not recommended to wear in a pool/hot tub with harsh liquid chemicals. Gold filled jewelry is similar to solid gold and can get scratched and dirty with normal wear so be sure to keep away from hard surfaces to prevent scratching. Keep gold filled jewelry looking new by gently polishing with the jewelry polishing cloth that is included in your order.
- Clean gently with mild soapy water. A very soft toothbrush can be used to gently scrub chains.
- Be sure to fully dry the piece(s) and store them properly in a jewelry pouch or ziplock baggie away from direct sunlight.
- To remove any light scratches polish gently with a jewelry polishing cloth.
Gold Plated Jewelry
Plated jewelry is not meant to last forever and the plating will eventually wear off.
Follow the care instructions below to make your piece(s) last longer.
- Avoid wearing your jewelry when showering, swimming, sleeping, and exercising.
- Keep away from hard surfaces to prevent any scratching.
- After wearing, wipe gently with a soft cloth to remove any dirt and skin oils.